4/24/15

Quote Journals: book lovers and others will adore them.


    A year ago I came across a journal in Barnes and Nobles. Now, this wasn’t just any journal. This was an emerald colored journal decorated in Celtic patterns and it called to me. I have been fascinated by all things Celtic, not only because of my Irish background, but because the culture is so magical. Anyway, I had to have it, but I had no idea what to use it for. I brought it home and it sat on my bookshelf for about a week until I realized what I could use it for. I was reading a book, I cannot remember which, but all of the sudden a quote from the book just stuck with me and didn’t want to leave. I took a picture so I could remember the quote later and kept reading. After I finished the book I realized that I cannot take a picture of every quote I like because, unfortunately, I don’t have the space for it. Then I remembered my emerald journal. It was small enough to carry in my purse and always keep with me if I wanted to, and I realized it would be a perfect quote journal.
     I began writing down my favorite quotes and quotes I came across that inspired me somehow and soon I was almost halfway through the journal. The journal is now almost full of all kinds of quotes about books, life, people, creativity, etc. Now as I look back on the pages filled with quotes, I am inspired by every page. I can open that journal now and remember books that I loved where the quotes came from, what made that quote special to me at the time, or just be reminded that quotes are powerful. I am so glad I started a quote journal because now my favorite quotes will never be lost. They are all in one page. I feel like it is necessary for all book lovers to have a quote journal so that they can look back and reminisce about the books they read or anything like that. Sometimes I forget quotes that I have come across that have meant something to me simply because I have a terrible memory. However, now that I have my quote book I won’t have to worry about that again.

     When I started my quote book I dated it so that when I look back at it years from now, I can see how far I’ve come from the quotes I choose to write down. I will be able to tell how sad I was at the time or how happy or how excited, simply by the quotes I chose that stuck out to me. My quote journal is like a diary to me. I have never been able to keep a diary because most of the time I forgot about it, so my quote journal is my way of expressing myself the way I can. In the words of John Green, and the words that reside on the front page of my quote journal, “Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.” I have to agree. The quote I like speak volumes about me. So I suggest that if you love books, quotes, inspiration, or you just need a way to express yourself, create a quote journal. Find a journal that you love and that you will want to keep intact, and write you’re your favorite quotations as they come to you. Not only will this comfort you in knowing that all of your favorite quotes are in one place, but it will also give you an outlet to express yourself in a unique way.
    I hope this has inspired you to start your own quote journal or ignited your interesting in picking your quote journal back up and writing in it. I couldn’t find a better way to express myself then through the words of book that have left a mark on me, can you?

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile, I loved your post! And the green journal is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete