4/10/15

Reasons Why I DNF A Book!


   One of my lovely followers suggested that I write a blog post about why I do not finish aka DNF a book a little while ago and I loved the idea. It got me thinking about how many books I actually DNF and I realized that I have only put down a few without finishing them.

  1. Characters
     
       One things that really turns me off of a book is dull or unrelatable characters. If I cannot put myself in a characters shoes then there is really no point in reading further, is there? I look for courage, sass, vulnerability, and fierceness in my characters and I have a hard time reading about characters who lack in those areas. I have very specific tastes in books (which I wrote a blog post about, link will be below) and I am very picky. Therefore, when I find a book that doesn’t satisfy at least a few of my requirements for a lack of a better word then I just can’t bring myself to read it.
     
  2. Plot
     
       It is the same way with the plot of a book as it is with characters. I look for specific things in books like romance, tons of actions and fighting, alpha males, humor, captivating world building, and something that grabs my attention within the first chapter. The first chapter, even the first sentence of a book, is crucial to capturing my attention. I look for strong and sassy statements in the first chapter or sentence of a book that will allow me to gage what the main character or world is like that I am about to experience. I love it when a book makes me laugh. Some of my favorite books are ones that made me laugh until I cried. I want to have fun when I read a book as I am sure most people do. Also, I love it when a plot is nonstop action so when there is a lot of lulls in the story I get bored very easily. Another thing that bores me every time is an overload of description. I understand that creating a fictional world or character demands description, but when a book is mostly description with little dialogue I just lose interest. I want interaction between characters not a description of how a hero’s eyes glimmer in the sunlight, you know? 
     
  3. Forced reading
     
       Another thing that causes me to not finish a book is being forced to read it. This mostly happened when I was in high school, but when I am forced to read a book I did not pick out, I am not likely to read any of it. I don’t see the point in reading a book I know I won’t like.
     
  4. Not in the mood.
     
       The last thing that causes me to put a book in my DNF pile is not being in the mood to read it. This is the reason I have a few unread books on my shelf and the reason some of them are one I have started and never finished. I don’t know about you, but I get in these moods where I just want to read a certain genre or a book with a certain theme in it. Sometimes I start a book thinking it is what I want to read and halfway through I get bored and put it down. That isn’t to say that the book is boring, I just was in the mood for something else. My book reading mood changes as much as my emotional mood so that is why I buy a few books at a time because I am not sure how long I will be in the mood to read them. Weird, right?
     
       I am always hesitant to put a book in my DNF pile because I rarely go back to them. For some reason I don’t like going back to a book I put down because it’s like putting it down the first time put a bad taste in my mouth. It’s like when you break up with someone and you have the chance to get back together a little while later, but you know you broke up for a reason so you are hesitant to get back into the relationship. That is me when I DNF a book. Do we share the same reasons for putting a book in the DNF pile? What turns you off of a book? Comment below and let me know!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment