4/14/15

The Truth About Jack Review by Jody Gehrman!



Dakota McCloud has just been accepted into a prestigious art school. Soon she'll leave behind the artists' colony where she grew up―hippie dad, tofu since birth, yurt―and join her boyfriend and best friend on the East Coast. It was the plan…until Dakota finds out her boyfriend and best friend hooked up behind her back.

Hurt and viciously betrayed, Dakota pours out her heart on a piece of paper, places it in a bottle, and hurls it into the ocean. But it doesn't quite go where she expects…

Jack Sauvage finds the bottle washed up on the shore and responds to Dakota's letter. Except what if his straight-laced life doesn’t jive with the free-spirited girl he’s only seen from afar? As Jack creates a persona he believes she’ll love, they slowly fall for each other with each new letter. Now Jack is trying to find a way to make this delicate, on-paper romance happen in real life…without revealing his deception.

     I was so excited to read The Truth About Jack because it was obvious that there was bound to be drama and I love a drama filled book. However, the beginning was slightly boring to me. Honestly, this story was a little dry in the beginning and middle, but in the ends things really came together. It wasn't until the end that I started liking the story though. That could have been because I was in a reading slump beforehand.

     Dakota is interesting and so is jack, but the storyline seemed to drag on for me. However, towards the end things really started to pick up and I loved those moments between Dakota and Jack. Especially the epilogue! Dakota is a main character that you instantly emotionally connect with because of her situation and that's really important. She isn't a main character that whines about everything and that's a plus in my book. She moves on and she is resolved to get past the pain of her friends betrayal. Then we have Jack, who is so swoon worthy. He is a mixture of shy and determined and it's so endearing. He is someone that you could love instantly!

    I think contemporary lovers will like this book. I prefer paranormal books over contemporaries usually so that's probably why this book did not appeal to me that much at the beginning. I just wished this book was a little bit more interesting towards the beginning and middle like it was in the end. However, The Truth About Jack is full of lies, heart break, new beginnings, and new relationships and I think it's a really good read. If you like Sarah Dessen’s novels then I think you will like The Truth About Jack. I give it three out of five stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment